Friday, June 21, 2013

Looks like we made it

Without killing anyone, without being suffocated by the cat, without mom having a nervous breakdown, and without anything burning to the ground.
This year flew by. Everyone said it would.
They were right. About that at least.
They also said I'd never get any sleep, that housework could wait, that I'd stop baking and doing all the silly things I like to do (birds and crowns and things and bees!)
They were wrong about that.
Life has changed, considerably. But most of it is the same.
I have changed, my day to day life has not. Maybe I won the baby lottery, maybe I'm an idiot savant at parenting, maybe Liam is biding his time and plotting something dark and sinister.... whatever it is, oh my god ricky if you read this please know how much i detest this new keyboard holy mother of jesus
I'll take it. Since 8 weeks Liam has been sleeping through the night, eating on a schedule, napping on a schedule... I hate to sound like an asshole, but this is kind of cake. (Yes, I know that it won't always be this way. Yes, I get that I have no idea what 2-3 will be like.)
Sure we have bad days. Sometimes I'm just not going to get the dishes done without him trying to climb into the dishwasher.
Sometimes I will not, under any circumstances, make it all the way through Target without forgetting half of what I needed because Liam is being a fussymcstinkypoopypantsmcgee.
Sometimes the dogs are going to try to kill him.
 Sometimes he'll get pink eye, because babies are disgusting.
 Sometimes this will happen.

 Yeah.... let's just talk about how banning a ONE year old will do any good, and how he's supposed to somehow learn something from this whole ordeal...being... one. year. old.
Whatever. 
But for the vast, vaaaaast majority, things are super fun, easy, and much like life as usual, just with a tiny awesome human along for the ride.
We go to the lake
 The beach
We go to our regular Dr. appointments
We eat at fancy restaurants in New Orleans...
Liam quite enjoys the pizza crusts and lamb ravioli with spring onions and parsnip puree at Domenica
We eat breakfast together every morning
We go spelunking
And we enjoy the shit out of some bath time
For real.
We have visits with Oma!
 And we run 5Ks!
I'm so excited about every new day with him. He changes so much, so very quickly. It gets overwhelming trying to take it all in sometimes. But worth it.

No comments: